By: Travis E. Blythe
Random thoughts after a week in Vegas!
Okay a few from Vegas and a couple others, because hey it’s random right? So typically I pick some topics and give my 2-cents on them, kind of ranting if you will. Since it has been about 5-years and I think I have matured a bit, I am going to give you my weeks top ten things going on in my mind. In no particular order other than how they popped into my head.
1. After spending a week with world class chefs, getting a recipe out of them is like pulling teeth! Seriously though, the problem is they just tend to make stuff up and I can’t write fast enough! But I can tell you this, when you do get one, watch out that stuff is like gold! Plus when they are athletes, they make nothing but healthy food and it is awesome!
2. They don’t call me the “Road Captain” for nothing. Yes I like to have fun, yes sometimes I am still 12 and if you want to have adventure in your life – just add me. I had several messages from people who followed along just to see what I would do next. Never expected it, but it does make me happy to see others living vicariously through me and if it puts a smile on their face…I am happy. I am looking for a partner in crime, a Bonnie to my Clyde if you will. Although there maybe an asterisk by that statement, the jury is still out on that. But in the mean time I had such a blast with my friends exploring Vegas in the most unusual way. That blog is coming out soon so be ready for a detailed account of our shenanigans!
3. I love the song Mirrors. My favorite version is this one.
4. It is snowing up north, in April, and I am laughing hard. It really sucks to be you and hence why I live in Texas, the greatest country…errr state in the world!
5. So I made this video while in Vegas poking fun at Matt “The Bear” Novakovich and his spears. See he sells them for $80/ea and autographed. You can make them yourself at Home Depot for $10. So while in Vegas I made a video saying I was going to pawn an original autographed spear at the famous Gold & Silver pawn Shop as seen on the TV show “Pawn Stars”. Needless to say he has a great sense of humor and since we have been bantering in chat rooms every other day. What a cool guy.
6. I think I am so grateful for all my friends. You know who you are, you have massive shoulders, you put up with my crap and I appreciate everything!
7. So what is the deal with Hummus and Blue Bell ice cream recalls? Its a good thing about ice cream because it is not on my diet! But I just started eating hummus and I kinda liked it…WTH?
8. So I am pretty sure Spartan race has jumped the shark for me. After two very grueling Battlefrog races, I traveled to do a Spartan Super, which is basically the same distance. All I can say is that it was easy. There was a ton of running and hardly any obstacles. Those they did have were really easy and I had no issues. I even hit my spear throw for the first time ever. So, I went burpee free, finished top 35 out of over 8,400 people and not to boast but I was also sick all week and day of the race and injured. Kinda makes me think how I would have done healthy. I’ll take it, but I really don’t need to do a bunch of these races this year. I would rather travel to the Battlefrog races and battle to keep my wrist band.
9. I made it a week in Vegas and I did not gamble! I am so proud of myself. I also only had 1-beer and 1-drink the whole time. I really didn’t want those either, but sometimes peer pressure gets to you. Okay I take that back, I also had 2-beers after the race, but those don’t really count because I was so thirsty I just gobbled them up and that was really early in the day.
10. This is going to come as a shock, but after spending a week in Vegas one thing I was starting to dig was the mountains. I instantly became jealous of all the running they do in the mountains. So now I am very open to possibly moving or spending some time this summer in a place that has mountains so I can run up and down them. Who knows, the winter might not be so bad either as long as I can ski.
Okay, I know I said the top ten, but there is apparently more in me so here are a couple more bonus things I think…
11. I am so grateful for getting into this sport I have come to love. I have met some amazing people and I continue to make new friends and acquaintances every week. Whether I am connecting with Facecrack friends in person that I have never met before or meeting total new people, they have been nothing short of awesome. Over the course of the past 2 weeks I have met some funny people. Sometimes it amazes me how different people are in person and once you crack that shell they are so funny. I have new friends from Colorado, Florida, Atlanta, BFE Georgia, Utah, California and Mexico (yes the country). So what do I think? I think I am blessed and I look forward to seeing more unicorn farts in my inbox!
12. Forks in the road can come in all shapes and sizes. I find myself standing at a new one. One direction leads to parts unknown, new adventures, new people and new possibilities. The other leads to paradise, it leads to where I could call home, familiar faces, warm hearts and every one of those happy quotes you people post every day. This second path is also filled with new adventures, new responsibilities and endless possibilities. So the question is, where do you go? The decision is not mine alone, although it does feel like it is. So of course I have one side I am leaning to and where I want to go. Now don’t go getting all sappy on me, don’t read to much in to this, because I have not told you if this road was personal or professional or both? Hmmm…inquiring minds want to know I am sure. I guess you will have to stay tuned for this little nugget and see where I go.
13. I love coaching and motivating. I realize I post a bunch of stuff every week and I try to relate everything to my personal journey, but I want to thank every single one of you who take the time to read stuff like this. You message me privately and tell me I made a difference in your life and that means more to me than any medal I get at a race. This week I saw a friend ask for help, not from me, but just in general. She needed an accountability partner, someone to make her stay active and on track for her goal in two weeks. Sure I could have ignored it and just gone about my business. But you know what, I am not that type of person. So even though I had no sleep, catching a redeye flight home, getting in at 5:30am, staying awake all day, I still met her and walked step by step with her up and down hills. It didn’t matter to me, I was doing my job. Fast forward to the following day and I schedule a brutal workout, mostly for myself, but there she was doing it. I mean everything except for the dreaded monkey bars. So we finished and we made her do the monkey bars. I could tell she had a ton of self doubt, but we pushed and she went. She did it, the whole length, without stopping! She finished and as I go to high five her, she busts out in tears. You see she had never done anything like that before, not even as a kid. That is what it is all about folks, that is why I help people and I have been my whole life. I get knocked because I sometimes give to much and get nothing in return. But it is not about me, so I am going to keep posting motivation and transformation stories and hopefully secretly inspiring others to live the life they want to live and that they can do anything they put their mind to.
14. Just throwing it out there, if anyone wants to sponsor me and help fund me to go to races, I would much appreciate it. And no I am not going to start a “Go Fund Me” account, I think that is just wrong to beg for money to go to races. Now if you wish to donate to me, that is something different all together. I mean, hey I do have a birthday coming up and if you were to send me a card with money in it, who am I to refuse that?
15. So there is a special someone I need to thank. You see as much as I just said I like to motivate and inspire, sometimes the “Struggle is real” and it takes a lot to get me going. This year has been a bunch of ups and downs. The truth is, I rarely do anything after the Glen Rose Spartan race, that typically ends my year and then the cold winter and time change sets in. What that normally means to me is that I hibernate. See you in March when it warms up is usually my M.O. However, this year was much different. I met someone who changed me, inspired me and made me want to not be idol. Whether this person thinks so or not, they have had a direct impact on this years racing season.
You see, I started the year on fire in January. I was running, working out and I was the most active I have ever been in January. Then February came and laziness crept in. I had excuses and no matter how bad this person tried, I was an ass. I think this caused some serious damage in the friendship because I was just not feeling it, I had one excuse after the other.
- it’s too cold outside
- it’s raining
- I don’t have a gym membership
- I think I just sh!t my pants
I had a ton of excuses. March hit and the weather started changing and as usual so did my attitude. Unfortunately I wasn’t really prepared for my first race because I was lazy. Sure I did okay, I finished decent but I know I could have done better. So at the end of all this, there was a comment made to me which has stuck in my head since then. The comment was thrown so loosely I doubt they even remember saying it, however, the comment was:
This person was absolutely right. So since then I have refocused on my training. I started running again and adding strength workouts to my day. March was a stellar month, I put in a bunch of miles and I felt great! I even lost that winter weight I think I put on in February during my “comfy” stage. So thank you, you know who you are and you need to know I am sorry for my stubbornness, you were right (damn that hurts to admit I was wrong!). So go ahead and do your “I was right” dance…you deserve it! See it was a win/win!
16. Okay so this week has two songs, well because I said so! This one I heard two weeks ago and it has stuck with me, I just love it. If you don’t well then you can suck it. Sam Smith and John Legend…come on man! Here is the video.
Until next time, my name is Travis and I talk to strangers.